My employer is asking me to perform non-pressure welds I have not received my CWB Qualification for. What should I do?

A: This can be a tough situation for welders to be in, and the answer can vary a bit based on the situation.  

We must assume that the company the welder is working for (that is the company that has been contracted to do the welding work) is certified by CWB to CSA W47.1 / W47.2 / W186. If they are, then it is a requirement of their certification program that all welders hold suitable qualifications for the work being undertaken by the welder.  This typically means that the welder has a qualification which is valid for the process, position, filler metal, and joint type of the welding being made.   The most common qualification held is an ”S Classification” qualification, and this versatile qualification covers tack welds, fillet welds, partial joint penetration welds, and full penetration welds made onto backing or back-gouged.   The vast majority of joints used in structural and manufacturing work is covered by this type of qualification – just make sure the process, position, and filler are what is needed.   

If the welder is working for a certified company, then they should let their qualified Welding Supervisor know that their qualification may not be appropriate.  If its not, then another qualified welder should undertake the work or, alternatively, the Welding Supervisor may elect to conduct a probationary test.  If the probationary testing route is used, the welder can then begin the work under the direct supervision of the Welding Supervisor and then complete their formal qualification test under CWB witness at a later date.  

But what if the company is not certified?  Or what if its not clear if the work “requires” certification?  First, the company should be verifying if CWB certification should be in place.  The CWB can help organizations figure this out – just visit us at or call us at 1-800-844-6790.   Secondly, no welder should undertake work for which they are not suitably qualified or trained.  We all must work to ensure that the welds we make are of high quality and suitable for the service conditions of the finished work – and a critical way to ensure this is to have the right ticket for the job.

If an individual would like to submit an incident or request a site visit;

The CWB Office of Public Safety will investigate complaints and provide enforcement related to several issues. These include:

  • Compliance / quality issues for currently certified companies
  • Regulated work being undertaken by non-certified companies
  • Non-certified fabricators and/or erectors on construction sites
  • Weld quality issues which may result in a threat to the safety of the public
  • Other related issues

To request an investigation or a construction site visit either call us at 1-800-844-6790 x717 or complete the following form at Report an Incident / Request Enforcement | CWB Group

Author: Craig Martin VP CWB Group - Certification Office of Public Safety


The information provided is intended for general interest, to educate and inform our audience. The CWB and those providing feedback to the questions do not take any responsibility for any omissions or misstatements that could lead to incorrect applications or possible solutions that industry may be facing.

How-It Works content is submitted by Industry experts to the CWB Association and does not necessarily reflect the views of the CWB Group. When testing for CWB Certification or CWB Education, please refer to CWB Education textbooks or CSA standards as the official source of information.